… The guard who was searching the alchemist found a small crystal bottle full of liquid, and a yellow glass egg, slightly larger than the egg of a chicken.
“What are these things? He asked the guard.
“It’s the Philosopher’s Stone and the Elixir of Long Life. It is the Great Work of the alchemists. Who take this elixir will never be sick, and a splinter of this stone turns any metal into gold.
“The guards laughed for real, and the alchemist laughed with them. They find it very engrçada answer, and let them leave without major setbacks, with all their belongings.
” You are crazy? the boy asked the alchemist, when he had distanced himself enough. What did you do this?
“To show you a simple law of the world answered the alchemist. When we have the great treasures before us, we never realized. And you know why? Because men do not believe in treasures. ”
As a Lady Danger-type, I don’t indulge in activities like juice cleanses, walks on the beach, self-help books or brunch. This doesn’t mean, however, that I don’t have my indulgences. Here are 10 of my guilty pleasures.
Luxury is never an ‘either/or.’ It’s an ‘and’: function and fantasy, dressing day into night chicly and with personality that’s all her own.
– Donna Karen
- Streaming on demand Basic Instinct, Penny Dreadful and Alfred Hitchcock’s entire oeuvre.
- Winding down with a glass of cabernet
- On my bookshelf…\Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates and Dangerous Liaisons, Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.
- Sipping Bellocq Breakfast black tea blend (bellocq.com) in the morning before everyone is awake.
- Dinner party with conversation, a vintage Sancerrea
- In my home…Ambre Japonais candle, Byredo ($80 USD, barneys.com), my Parson Russel Terrier
- Listening to…one of my 3000 lps.
- Soaking in the tub
- On my skin…Opium (Yves Saint Laurent)
- Treasure hunting…for vintage finds at Clementine’s, The Cat’s Meow, Garb or In Vintage We Trust. All in Toronto.
I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you fucking like something, like it. That’s what’s wrong with our generation: that residual punk rock guilt, like, “You’re not supposed to like that. That’s not fucking cool.” Don’t fucking think it’s not cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” It is cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic”! Why the fuck not? Fuck you! That’s who I am, goddamn it! That whole guilty pleasure thing is full of fucking shit.”
― Dave Grohl